Friday 4 October 2013

Duo Roams Part 2: Don't fly while tired...or drinking. Certainly not a combination of both those.

After losing our ships in Querious, Tesla reported that he was feeling pretty wiped and asked when I would be able to get on next to try again.  I'm just entering some vacation time, so my evenings for the next few days are pretty booked up, which I relayed to him.  This information made him change his mind about signing off for the night, so we refit and headed into lowsec.  Tesla was flying the same HAM-fit Caracal.  I was in a Vexor fit that I had thrown together a while ago and figured I should try out.

We found an engagement on a gate as soon as we entered Kamela.  Rather, Tesla spotted a Hawk off the gate, which I told him to engage.  Tesla then reported that he was popped after about 30 seconds.  I couldn't believe that a lone Assault Frigate was putting out that much DPS. 

Caracal

I moved in on the Hawk in an attempt to avenge Tesla's death.  I managed to remember to launch my drones and get in close enough to apply DPS from my blasters.  My tank was disappearing remarkably fast, however.

Vexor

And I requested the pod express home again.  We promptly called it a night.

Feeling slightly hungover, but at least more alert the next morning, I went over the killmails to try and scry what the Hawk had done to put out so much DPS...

Lessons learned:

- Gate guns are on gates in Lowsec.
- They definitely exist.
- They do, in fact, put a lot of DPS on anyone who agresses a target while within range of the gate.
- Smart capsuleers will hang out on gates in the hopes that they can kill inexperienced pilots on gates (this may not be the case, however if you ever see us in system late at night, it might be worth a shot).
- Fucking gate guns.

Yeah, so I fucked up calling the engagement on the gate.  I need to look in to how the agression mechanics work for gate guns.  Props to Jak'at for either being in the right place at the right time, or for pulling off a cunning ambush.

No comments:

Post a Comment