Friday 4 October 2013

Duo Roams: What I learned

Tesla and I set some time aside last night to go out and look for some fights.  I was FC, as I have a little more PVP experience (ostensibly).  My plan on this roam was to take us through Querious and look for fights.  I flew a blaster-fit Harpy, and stayed one jump ahead of Tesla, who was flying a HAM-fit Caracal.

I had some issues with my comms system, so we ended up communicating via cell phone.  Boo to crappy internet connection.

I believe we made it about 10 jumps in to my planned 40 jump route when Tesla reported that he was tackled on the gate behind me in C-7SBM.  I asked him what had him tackled.  He had no idea.  I managed to jump back through to find him tackled by a Rupture.  Tesla yelled that the Rupture was chewing through his shields real quick.  Then he said "Oh, shit.  I guess I should turn on my adaptive invuln."

Tesla popped not long after that.  He did get his pod out, which is good news as he had about 160 million worth of implants in his clone.

Kablooie

I didn't even see Tesla blow up, but I had managed to get point and web on the Rupture and establish an orbit about 5000k off the Rupture.  He was steadily chewing away at my shields, but I kept my blasters on him and kept hoping that I could get through his tank.  I think I had the Rupture down to about 15% shields when I noticed I was in low armour (I had my sound turned off so I could here the phone, ok?!).  My Harpy popped not long after that.

Didn't want that Blarpy anyways

I warped my pod out, then remembered it was a clean clone.  I politely requested the pod express and the other capsuleer kindly obliged.  Thanks, Lothein!

Lessons learned:

- That set up was heavily dependant upon positioning.  We should have set up on a gate and tried to control the engagement, rather than roam through space - leaving the fragile Caracal open to being ganked from behind by a smart capsuleer.

- Caracals have a big EM hole in their tank.  Everyone else seems to realize this.  Result: quickly melted Caracal.

- I forgot to swap to my close range ammo when I locked up the Rupture.  As such, my DPS was rather lackluster.  I need to remember to swap ammo types when I get in range.

- Related to the above point, I probably could have mitigated some of the incoming damage from the Rupture due to a higher transversal velocity.

Feel free to add your .02 isk in the comments if you see a lesson I missed.  Please note that we know we suck at this.

No comments:

Post a Comment