Wednesday 13 November 2013

Breath of Fresh Air

I've got back into Eve after a brief hiatus.  Don't ask for the details of this hiatus.  Other games lured me away briefly, but they can't compare to the Siren song of New Eden.

Tonight was a good night for me.  I found three fights with relative ease, and all three were 1 versus 1.  No surprise back-up.  It was exhilirating.

I decided to get back into a Kestrel (fit slightly modified) and see what kind of trouble I could get into.  Not long after parking my ass in a small plex, a Slasher warped in on me...and waited there for a while.  The waiting had me a little worried, as I new there was a Tristan nearby that could complicate matters.

The waiting was unbearable.  I heated my highs, as well as my scram and web.  I kept modifying my position on the warp-in, double-guessing my best option.  The whole time, my pulse was pounding in my ears and my mouth was going dry.  Suddenly, the war target Slasher warped into the plex.  I unleashed all the things on my screen and watched in shock as my rockets tore through his shield, armor and hull in no time at all.  Sadly, I forgot to grab some shots of this fight.  Whatever, victory!

My opponent warped off and mentioned that he has a strict no-Kestrel rule.  He added that unfortunately for him he's bad at rules.  Props to him for tossing the rules aside, I appreciated the good fight to open up my brief evening jaunt.

After I had looted the wreck, the Tristan I had seen on long range scan showed up at short range.  Again, this opponent waited for what seemed a long time before warping in, giving me enough time to recharge all my shields.  The Tristan warped in and dropped drones, then pulled out to about 8 km from me, letting his Hobgoblin IIs turn me into mincemeat.

I remembered my Drone tab!  \o/

I did manage to remember to lock up his drones and try to eliminate his main source of DPS.  That being said, by the time I managed to clear one of the field, he had replaced it.  Not long after that, I was in low armour.  Then I didn't have a ship anymore.  It was a good fight anyways.

For my last tour, I jumped in a Slasher that I had been sitting on (surprisingly, it's almost exactly the same as my first kill of the night...weird) and headed back to Enaluri.  I ended up doing some plexing waiting for a fight to come in.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to clear the rat out of the plex, so when a Merlin warped in, I managed to forget to swap my DPS over to the more important target.  After losing, I explained to my opponent that I wasn't AFK, just forgetful.  

I had fit this Slasher with the intention that it would be a good fight against a Merlin and other blaster boats, as the TD would allow me to limit the incoming DPS and control the engagement.  After that fight, I'm not ready to rule it out.  I'm going to look at it more as my control case.  Must fly moar Slashers.

All in all, it was a good time getting back into Eve.  Cheers for the good fights and I hope I keep finding opponents like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment