Sunday 20 October 2013

Good Weekend for Fighting

I got in late-ish from a wedding last night and my wife passed out, so I decided to log in for a quick PVP fix.  I decided to pull out another Kestrel as I always have a bunch of fun flying them.

I moved into Black Rise and eventually came across an Omen in a medium plex.  I had my tracking disruptor fit, so I figured I might be able to dictate range and where through the cruisers armour.  I warped into the plex with all my mods overheated and managed to land a tackle on the Omen.  He launched drones, which I slowly removed from the field, though my opponent did pull them in a couple of times.  Somewhere near the beginning of this battle, however, all my modules were destroyed from overheating.  Oops.

So without an afterburner, or a scram, or a web, the Omen was able to move in and out of my range as he pleased.  Luckily for me, my tracking disruptor still functioned, so Iwas able to mitigate the incoming dps slightly.  Unfortunately, the Omen also had a neut that would mess with the cycle on the disruptor.  My Kestrel did eventually go down, but I managed to get the Omen to half armour.  Talking to the pilot afterwards, he admitted that I had him worried for a bit during the fight.
I told him the fight was the best one I'd had all week.

What I learned:
- Don't be afraid to fight above your weight.  This fight wasn't actually close overall, but had I paid more attention to the condition of my modules, I might have been able to wear him down given more time.  If I was actually able to wear him down, a scram and a web would've been helpful.  Same goes for my prop mod.
- Don't switch to EM ammo against an armour-tanked ship.  That's just stupid.
- Eliminating the drones right off the bat severely cut down my opponents dps, allowing me to stay in the fight much longer than is normal.

After that, I threw a Merlin fit together as my last ship of the night.  I came across a Condor in a novice plex pretty quicly and attempted to engage.  He held range very well but couldn't break the tank on my Merlin.  The fight lasted about five minutes and basically was just a bunch of practice for me on the slingshot maneouvre.  We ended up calling it a draw.  Turns out he's relatively new in Eve and asked for advice on his fit, which I attempted to give with the disclaimer that I'm not much further advanced than he is.  I shared a few of my fits with him and wished him luck.  Or her, maybe?  Anyways, Aylee Donut's got a good attitude towards PVP in the Black Rise region.  10/10 would fight again in a ship with some range.

I then moved deeper into lowsec and lost my Merlin to an Incursus.  It was a pretty sweet brawl - reminiscient of two tigers dueling in the night, running straight at each other and pouncing with all points extended towards the opponent.  At least, that's what sprung to mind during the fight.  Shut up, it was late.  The Incursus' larger blasters were able to tear through My Merlin after I messed up and moved my ship back into range too early.  Also, it was active armour-tanked, so I'm not entirely sure how far I would have made it in that fight.

What I learned:
- Condor versus Merlin is not going to end well for the Merlin.  I got lucky on this one.

This morning I was woken up at stupid o'clock by my pager.  Came back home afterwards and decided to get out into Black Rise again.  I decided to try a Hookbill out, figuring it would be like a better Kestrel.  Jury is still out on that.  I flew around for a half hour chasing Plex-farmers, only to walk right in to a surprise buttsecks Enyo sitting on the beacon in a small plex.  Double-webbed, scrammed and popped within 30 seconds.

What I learned:
- Don't walk in on an assault frigate in a plex.  Chances are it's set up at optimal to provide you with your daily dose of ambush.

After looking at my Security status, I figured that I should probably rejoin Faction Warfare to avoid all this security status I'm losing, and maybe start making some isk again.  Space Corporations Go Boink Inc. is a member of the Caldari State again in 24 hours.  See you out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment