Thursday 10 October 2013

Trying out the new exploration system

Back in my early days, I spent some time exploring in lowsec, running magnetometric and radar sites.  I actually made some pretty decent isk at it too.  Since I'm no longer tied to any particular system, and with Tesla away from game due to some real life commitments, I decided to lead a nomadic life in nullsec.

On my first jaunt, I headed to the southwest of the universe.  I was doing pretty well.  I ended up finding 3 sites, two of which were relics and one was a data.  I have stated that I'm not a huge fan of the minigame before, however after doing it a few times, I will admit that it's pretty fun.  I got into this zen mindset where i would try to click as many continuous nodes I could while keeping one eye on local and Dscan.  I made it through about 10 systems that were mostly empty, then the systems started to get busier.  Then this happened:

Suprise! Dictor

I jumped through a gate when suddenly an interdiction bubble went up and a fleet of frigates and destroyers from Get Off My Lawn surrounded me.  What can I say, I panicked.  I did my best to align, mwd and cloak, but someone had a sensor booster, locked me up and scrammed me.  The Buzzard melts very easily.  Well-played sirs, well-played.

I had another Buzzard tucked safely away in a highsec staging system I frequent, so I headed off into the polar opposite area of New Eden that I had been killed in.  I completed a tour through the northeast and eastern area of the universe, running all the exploration sites I came across.  There was a lot of them.  I managed to not die this time.  I came out with a bunch of faction and T2 Blueprint Copies.

Some notes on the new exploration system: it's really rare to find a relic site.  Relic sites are the ones to go after, as the salvage that pops from the relic scatter cans has some decent value.  The rewards from data sites are a bit shit.  Scratch that, they are really shit.  I'm not an industrialist, so I'm not about to start trying to produce from these BPCs.   Realistically, from my quick math, it doesn't look like there's much of a profit margin to be had producing the items in any case.  I pulled in a bunch of faction drone BPCs, and some assorted Module BPCs.  I looked on contracts to see what these BPCs are typically selling at, and it's not much.

For now, I guess I'll look in to another way to make isk.  I might try exploration in lowsec again, however I get the feeling I might be better off trying to hunt other explorers and take their haul off them instead.  The minigame is kinda fun, and distracting enough I can see catching some explorers unaware.  It's too bad that the rewards for doing exploration in nullsec make all that work feel like wasted effort.

Oh yeah;
What I learned:

- Smart nullsec alliances actually use their intel networks to their advantage.
- It is, in fact, possible to say bubbles in anger.
- Being late to the exploration party isn't likely to pay off.



No comments:

Post a Comment